Terms of Reference for a Communications Consultancy agreement (UK)
Closing date: 24 May 2021
Oceana in Europe is looking for a consultant to support our communications activities in the UK during 2021. In close coordination with the Oceana team, the consultant will influence UK policies in the fields of fisheries and marine protected areas and increase the visibility of the organisation. This is a UK-based, time-limited consultancy until the end of 2021.
Oceana is the largest international advocacy organisation dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Oceana is rebuilding abundant and biodiverse oceans by winning science-based policies in countries that control one-third of the world’s wild fish catch. With more than 225 victories that stop overfishing, habitat destruction, pollution, and the killing of threatened species like turtles and sharks, Oceana’s campaigns are delivering results. Together, we can protect the world’s ocean.
Duration of the project
From 10 June to 31 December 2021.
Purpose of the contract
The consultant will:
- Conduct research, develop, plan and programme communication strategies in support of Oceana’s fisheries and MPA campaign goals and of the organisation’s wider visibility in the UK.
- Craft and distribute key campaign and organisational messages and content via multiple channels and mediums, including broadcast radio and television, print, online, and email.
- Develop and post social media content in support of Oceana’s campaigns.
- Monitor, retrieve, and process media coverage for Oceana’s campaigns in the UK.
- Respond to media inquiries, or channel the same to Oceana communications staff.
- Develop press contacts, pitch to journalists and gatekeepers, and handle media inquiries.
- Ensure all outputs follow Oceana’s brand guidelines and communications best practices.
- Write/edit press releases, newsletters, online copy, and other press materials, organise media events and define marketing strategies to support Oceana’s communications goals.
- By July 2021 develop an initial UK-specific strategy to enhance Oceana’s organisational, digital and campaign communications, based on an analysis of the UK media landscape.
- By August 2021 establish new UK media contacts and update Oceana’s UK media database; actively identify and engage UK influencers and opinion-setters, especially on social media.
- By September 2021 finalise UK-specific communications plan and develop end Q3-Q4 programming calendar.
- By October 2021 assist the Oceana team in the development and implementation of UK-specific webpages and develop online copy.
- By November 2021 develop messaging on the ocean and climate for the UNFCCC COP 26 and produce related communications materials.
- By December 2021, assist the Oceana team in developing messaging relating to the setting of fishing limits and produce related communications materials.
- By December 2021 pitch at least 6 stories to UK media.
- On a monthly basis, compile media reports regarding Oceana’s impact on UK media and the impact of the strategy.
- Throughout the consultancy coordinate and execute activities (including media and online media) with Oceana’s communications agency in the UK.
- Until December 2021 participate in weekly communications team meetings and ad-hoc campaign meetings.
Oceana will review each deliverable, unless otherwise noted.
Expressions of interest
To express interest in this opportunity, please submit proposals by email to email@example.com by 24 May including:
- A detailed budget estimate.
- An up-to-date CV of the individual(s) to be involved in delivery, or description of expertise for corporate entities.
Please mention “Communications Consultancy (UK)” in the email subject.
FUNDACION OCEANA is the Controller of the Data Subject’s personal data and informs him/her that these data shall be processed in accordance with the provisions of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of 27 April (GDPR) and the Organic Law 3/2018 of 5 December (LOPDGDD), for a legitimate interest of the Controller, providing the following information on the processing:
- Purpose of the processing: to include the Data Subject in the personnel selection processes, analysing the applicant’s profile with the aim of selecting the best candidate for the Controller’s vacancy.
- Legitimacy of the processing: unequivocal consent clearly indicated by the Data Subject.
- Data storage criteria: data will be stored for a maximum period of one year, after which the data will be erased, guaranteeing full respect for confidentiality both in the processing and subsequent destruction. To this effect, once this period has elapsed, and if you wish to continue participating in the Controller’s selection processes, please send us your CV again.
- Updating data: in the event of any modification to your data, please inform us in writing as soon as possible in order to keep your data duly updated.
- Data disclosure: Your data may be communicated to third parties because they are necessary to achieve the purpose of the treatment, or by legal obligation.
- Rights of the Data Subject:
- Right to withdraw consent at any time.
- Right of access, rectification, portability and erasure of data and the limitation or objection to their processing.
- The right to file a claim with the Spanish Supervisory Authority (www.aepd.es) if you consider that the processing does not comply with the current legislation.
Contact information to exercise their rights: FUNDACION OCEANA. GRAN VIA, 62-7 – 28013 MADRID (Madrid). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.