Oceana seeks a bilingual Senior Accountant for our Madrid office.
He or she will provide support in several Banking activities like budget setting and compliance, accounting, fundraising assistance and accountability to funders.
He or she will, among other responsibilities:
- Ensure that Oceana’s accounts are appropriately and consistently handled in compliance with Oceana´s policies
- Liaise with and provide assistance to Oceana’s fundraising department
The Accountant Senior must be dedicated to Oceana’s mission, understand Oceana’s campaigns goals, and actively support our success in achieving such goals.
He or she will have strong command of financial principles and thorough analytical and accounting skills.
The Accountant Senior must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously responding to day-to-day requests from the Finance and Administrator Director. The position reports directly to the Finance and Administrator Director, as well as to the Senior Controller in Europe.
Job requirements include:
- Must be fluent in English, both writing and orally. Interview will be held in English. Applications that do not meet this qualification, will not receive further consideration.
- Accounting degree or equivalent. F. Bachelors of Science in Accounting, Administration, Economic and Business studies or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years of recent experience in an administration-related position is required. Previous successful involvement in a similar position would be an asset.
- Must be an effective solution-oriented problem solver. Excellent verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills to negotiate effectively.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and/or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Working knowledge of Windows-based applications and advanced experience with Excel and Contaplus. Netsuit knowledge will be a plus.
- Mathematical aptitude and understanding of basic accounting principles required.
- Must be able to monitor and support taxation and payroll issues
- Must be familiar with taxes, social security and general employment legislation
- Liquid asset management
- Daily Bank liaison
Analysis of bank fee, targeted balance calculations and other bank issues
Accounting of cash flows
Prepare payment entries
Bank reconciling items
Follow-up to intra-group loan accounts
Assist with administrative tasks
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare financial statements
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures
- Meet all financial reporting deadlines
- Prepare financial managements reports
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly and year end close
- Support budget and forecast activities
- Prepare financial audit and coordinate audit process
- Ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
- Record invoices
- The successful candidate must be based in Madrid
- Must be a self-motivated, self-starter, team player, able to meet deadlines, and have the ability to handle many tasks simultaneously with speed, accuracy, and courtesy.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with good telephone etiquette and professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, possess a strong interest in the marine environment and commitment to Oceana’s mission, goals, and values.
How to apply: Qualified candidates please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Oceana via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org ) subject line: Senior Accountant
Deadline for applications: 23 January 2015.
Starting date: As soon as possible