Oceana Request for Proposals: Reducing/stopping expansion of offshore oil and gas production in Europe and expanding offshore wind power
Oceana is the largest international advocacy organisation dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Oceana is rebuilding abundant and biodiverse oceans by winning science-based policies in countries that control one-third of the world’s wild fish catch. With more than 225 victories that stop overfishing, habitat destruction, pollution, and the killing of threatened species like turtles and sharks, Oceana’s campaigns are delivering results. Together, we can protect the world’s ocean.
We are seeking proposals for a consultant to identify options for campaign work aimed at:
- Reducing (or stopping the expansion of) the offshore production of fossil fuels in Europe; and
- Promoting the expansion of offshore wind power in Europe.
Acknowledging the climate emergency and the need to rapidly decarbonise Europe’s economy, Oceana is seeking research and advice on practical campaign approaches to stop new offshore oil and gas projects, and to limit to the extent possible the extraction of fossil fuels from current offshore leases and operations. In parallel, Oceana is seeking research and advice on approaches to promote the expansion of offshore wind generation in Europe, taking into consideration the environmental impacts of such expansion.
Applicants should have demonstrated knowledge of European energy policy, experience in energy campaigning, and experience analysing trends and developments in offshore oil and gas and offshore renewables at the European scale.
The selected consultant will work with Oceana in Europe’s Director of Science and Strategy to refine the scope and structure of the research. The consultant will then prepare a detailed research report that presents the options identified for potential campaigns, including suitable strategic approaches to win them, together with the background research carried out to inform those options. Upon completion, the consultant will summarise the findings, share both the summary and the detailed research report with Oceana, and present them to Oceana in Europe’s leadership.
The study will take place from March 2022 – September 2022 (timing is somewhat flexible) and will cover the scope of work specified above. The deliverables will be an interim report (due by July 2022) and a final report (due by September 2022), both of which will be submitted electronically to Oceana. Oceana expects to work closely with the selected consultant for the duration of the project, with scheduled regular updates and calls.
Your Oceana point of contact during the process will be Allison Perry, Director of Science and Strategy in Europe. Proposals should be sent to Dr. Perry (at firstname.lastname@example.org), by March 4, 2022. Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis, as received. Please feel free to contact Dr. Perry before February 25, 2022 for further details regarding the deliverables or to discuss your proposal prior to submission.
TIMELINE AND PLANNING
Timeframe for Project
- March 4, 2022 (on or before) – Proposals due from potential consultants
- March 11, 2022 – Consultant selected by Oceana
- March 25, 2022 – Contract awarded, and consultancy begins
Approximate Consultancy Timeline:
- Week of March 28, 2022 – Project kick-off call/meeting
- Twice monthly progress report phone calls/meetings
- July 31, 2022 – Interim report due
- Week of September 12, 2022 – Final wrap up call/meeting
- September 30, 2022 – Final report due
Negotiable – Please include your estimated fee for the project in your proposal.
Please include a statement of your qualifications for this research and a description of your research approach.
FUNDACION OCEANA is the Controller of the Data Subject’s personal data and informs him/her that these data shall be processed in accordance with the provisions of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of 27 April (GDPR) and the Organic Law 3/2018 of 5 December (LOPDGDD), for a legitimate interest of the Controller, providing the following information on the processing:
- Purpose of the processing: to include the Data Subject in the personnel selection processes, analysing the applicant’s profile with the aim of selecting the best candidate for the Controller’s vacancy.
- Legitimacy of the processing: unequivocal consent clearly indicated by the Data Subject.
- Data storage criteria: data will be stored for a maximum period of one year, after which the data will be erased, guaranteeing full respect for confidentiality both in the processing and subsequent destruction. To this effect, once this period has elapsed, and if you wish to continue participating in the Controller’s selection processes, please send us your CV again.
- Updating data: in the event of any modification to your data, please inform us in writing as soon as possible in order to keep your data duly updated.
- Data disclosure: Your data may be communicated to third parties because they are necessary to achieve the purpose of the treatment, or by legal obligation.
- Rights of the Data Subject:
- Right to withdraw consent at any time.
- Right of access, rectification, portability and erasure of data and the limitation or objection to their processing.
- The right to file a claim with the Spanish Supervisory Authority (www.aepd.es) if you consider that the processing does not comply with the current legislation.
Contact information to exercise your rights: FUNDACION OCEANA. GRAN VIA, 62 9 – 28013 MADRID (Madrid). Email: email@example.com