Oceana www.oceana.org campaigns to protect and restore the world’s oceans. Our teams of marine scientists, economists, lawyers and advocates win specific and concrete policy changes to reduce pollution and to prevent the irreversible collapse of fish populations, marine mammals and other sea life.
Oceana is looking for a full time Communications Officer to join its team in Brussels, Belgium. Candidate should have 2+ years of experience in communications and an understanding of the fisheries/environment sector. Candidate must be a native English speaker, exhibit excellent writing and editing skills and be a self-starter.
• Copy-editor for all English-language external and internal materials
• Co-manage and develop Oceana’s social media platforms
• Write and edit press releases and website content
• Manage and develop content for Oceana’s blog
• Manage Oceana’s editorial calendar
• Monitor, track and process media coverage of Oceana in Europe
• Some administrative requirements assisting headquarters *
*The Communications Officer will have also to dedicate 10% of the time to administrative duties in order to coordinate the office management with the Human Resources Director based in the headquarters, Madrid (Spain).
- 2+ years in-house or agency communications (and media relations) experience
- Native fluency in English; fluency in other languages encouraged (particularly German, French)
- Demonstrable writing and editing skills (candidates will be tested as part of interview process)
- Experience developing social media content
- Ability to carry out work with a high degree of autonomy
- Experience in design/layout and video editing desired but not required
- Network of environmental and other relevant media contacts desired
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally required.
- Experience organizing and/or coordinating events
- The successful candidate will have the ability to meet deadlines, work under pressure and respond promptly as necessary. The candidate will be working in a multicultural and multi organizational environment; therefore it will be required strong skills for team building and networking.
The post will be based in Brussels.
Gross salary will be 3.190€ a month.
The post will initially be available for the period of 1 October, 2013– 31 December 2014, but is intended to become a permanent post.
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter explaining your interest to:email@example.com.
Deadline for application: 25th September 2013. Interviews will be held in Brussels.