Contract: Full time
Oceana www.oceana.org campaigns to protect and restore the world’s oceans. Our teams of marine scientists, economists, lawyers and advocates win specific and concrete policy changes to reduce pollution and to prevent the irreversible collapse of fish populations, marine mammals and other sea life.
Oceana, an international conservation organization dedicated to protecting the world’s oceans is seeking a full-time Marine Scientist specialized in fisheries and fisheries policy to work with us in our European Headquarters based in Madrid, Spain.
- The successful candidate will have expertise in Mediterranean fisheries sustainability and experience in fisheries policy.
- Proficiency in Italian and English is essential.
- Good communication skills are necessary as well, including writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate will be reporting to the European fisheries manager and the European research Director and will:
– Work in cooperation with the fisheries team to ensure coherence of Oceana’s vision across the different regions
– Design and develop policy strategies aimed to successfully achieve Oceana’s goals for sustainable fishing in the Mediterranean Sea
– Represent the organization in relevant scientific and governmental institutions and act as media spokesperson when required
– Write reports and policy briefings
- The ideal candidate will have a degree in fisheries science, ecology, economics, law or a related discipline.
- At least 2 years of experience in campaign work in the European Union, with personal network established. Academic or previous work experience related to Mediterranean fisheries
- The successful candidate will have proven skills in writing reports, articles, and proposals.
- The position requires strong communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Also she/he should be a consummate team player with a strong interest in marine environmental issues, and capable of working independently.
- Willingness to travel required, even with a short notice if necessary.
- The successful candidate will be able to think strategically, be self-motivated and with the ability to work under pressure. Oceana is a multicultural and multi organizational NGO, therefore strong skills for team building and networking are required.
- Personal commitment to Oceana’s mission and goals
- Proficient in Italian and English essential; command of Modern Standard Arabic is desired but not mandatory.
- Policy experience in any Mediterranean country desired but not essential.
- Shows initiative and will be able to work under pressure, with tight deadlines
The post will initially be available for the period of 10 March – 31 December 2014, but is intended to become a permanent post.
To apply for the post
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for application is 25th February, 2013. Interviews will take place on Madrid.