Role: Policy Advisor
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Contract: Full time
Oceana www.oceana.org campaigns to protect and restore the world’s oceans. Our teams of marine scientists, economists, lawyers and advocates win specific and concrete policy changes to reduce pollution and to prevent the irreversible collapse of fish populations, marine mammals and other sea life.
Oceana is seeking a full-time Policy Adviser to join our team. The position is located in Oceana’s Brussels office
- Develop and implement strategies to lobby the European Parliament, the Commission and Member States, to support Oceana many campaigns, in particular fisheries.
- Prepare policy and advocacy position papers and briefings
- Maintain and expand network of policy makers and stakeholders
- Represent Oceana in the European Union institutions, events, and with policy makers, stakeholders and media.
- The ideal candidate will have a degree in fisheries science, ecology, economics, law or a related discipline.
- At least 2 years of experience in policy and/or campaign work in the European Union, with personal network established.
- The successful candidate will have proven skills in writing reports, articles, and proposals.
- The position requires strong communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Also she/he should be a consummate team player with a strong interest in marine environmental issues, and capable of working independently.
- Fluency in English is essential, as well as in at least one other European language (Spanish and/or German preferably).
- Willingness to travel required, even with a short notice if necessary.
- The successful candidate will be able to think strategically, be self-motivated and with the ability to work under pressure. Oceana is a multicultural and multi organizational NGO, therefore strong skills for team building and networking are required.
Gross salary will be 3.200€ month.
The post will initially be available for the period of 1 October, 2013 – 31 December 2014, but is intended to become a permanent post.
To apply for the post
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for application is 25th September, 2013. Interviews will take place on Brussels.